May 16th, 2008 – Dr. J-Water
Ever since the Memphis Grizzlies traded Pau Gasol to the LA Lakers for $20 and a freshly minted DVD of the Hollywood blockbuster “Gigli” with Ben Affleck (*cough), the NBA rumor mill has been open for business. Anything is possible right?
I’ve read some pretty far fetched trade rumors lately, and at one point last week hearing about a possible trade of TJ “Glass” Ford back to the Milwaukee Bucks for sharpshooter Michael Redd, I thought I’d heard it all. That was until…I read this.
We are in the middle of one of the most exciting playoff runs of the last decade, yet somehow there are mainstream media folks clearly so desperate for a story that they will just pull trade rumors out of the clear blue sky.
The Denver Nuggets are NOT going to trade their young superstar Carmelo Anthony and the former defensive player of the year Marcus Camby to the New Jersey Nets for the overrated Richard Jefferson, a couple of weak first round draft picks, and 2 bench players on a 34 win team (Marcus Williams and Josh Boone). Have you gone loco my friend?
I realize that sometimes when there is smoke, there is fire. But in this case, even a pyromaniac with can of gasoline, a flamethrower, and a heavily wooded area couldn’t start that fire!
Although everything is not perfect in the Denver Nuggets camp right now following their quick first round exit from the 2008 Playoffs at the hands of the LA Lakers, we have to remember one important fact. The Denver Nuggets won 50 games this year! How many teams in NBA history have decided to blow up their team by trading away their franchise player after a 50 win season?
- The 23 year old Carmelo Anthony does need to improve his defense.
- Former Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe does still have a relationship with many Nuggets executives.
- Marcus Camby is often injured.
- The Nuggets did get bounced from the playoffs in the first round each of the last 5 years.
- Melo did get in trouble with the law for drinking and driving before the playoffs this year.
- The Nuggets do have a terrible team defense.
- The Nuggets are underutilizing Linas Kleiza and J.R. Smith offensively because Iverson and Melo do not swing the ball enough.
While although these individual factors may be true, as a collective they do not in any way warrant the ludicrous rumor that the New Jersey Nets have any hope of landing Carmelo Anthony and Marcus Camby for next season.
What’s the next rumor, Reggie Miller coming out of retirement on the request of Rick Carlisle? The media is a wonderful place for these wild rumors to flourish. But in the wise words of Reggie Miller himself, sometimes you just gotta say:
“Man, you’re crazy!”